Experienced Product Development Engineer - Thermal
Critical thinker * Curious * Focused and Persistent * Collaborator * Gets things done
A great place to work!
Johnstech International designs, patents and manufactures test solutions for the semiconductor industry. Our products are small, with critical features smaller than 1mm in size and tolerances measured in microns. More information about us and why we are a leading provider in our industry can be found at the end of this posting.
We are a great place to work! People join us -- and stay with us -- for our products, fulfilling careers, competitive pay and benefits, and our friendly and supporting environment. Don’t just take our word for it. Come and find out for yourself! Our products are sold around the world and employees at Johnstech have the opportunity to work with customers in Asia, Europe and the United States.
Johnstech offers a full scale of benefits including 3 weeks PTO,” volunteer your time” day off, 401k/matching contributions, tuition assistance, and more. Our medical and dental insurance benefits are available day 1 of employment.
Location: Minneapolis, MN
As a part of the New Product Development team, you will work to develop and analyze Johnstech test sockets. Our engineers have 2 primary roles. First, creating, testing and developing technologies from concept to working prototype to production release and second, leading and managing cross-function projects and creating buy-in, help shape ideas and move others to act. In combination, these two aspects of the role help deliver new technology solutions to meet customer and market opportunities.
Since our company size allows employees to make a large impact on the company’s overall success, we are looking for someone who thrives, working in an environment that requires you to deliver innovative solutions and resolve complex issues.
Relocation assistance will be considered.
Concept and Detailed Design
● Conceptualize and design product, using SolidWorks 3D CAD.
● Conduct CFD simulations and implement product design changes based on analysis.
● Think creatively and come up with innovative contacting solutions for our customers. Conduct system-level modeling, tolerance analysis, DFM, DFA, DFS, FMEA, and functional simulation to satisfy product requirements.
● Communicate the component requirements through manufacturing drawings.
● Support production with release of product family design guidelines and templates.
Prototype Building & Testing
● Collaborate or lead a cross functional team to build full featured assemblies, demonstrate process capability, and ramp up production in a low volume / high mix manufacturing environment
● Create validation plans to mitigate manufacturing process and product performance risks. Support lab to delivering high confidence and correlation. Analyze results and report findings. Reach out to customers with compelling images and graphs that highlight competitive performance advantages.
● Plan and define scope, objectives and resources needed to successfully complete the project.
● Develop a budget and monitor costs to ensure successful completion of projects.
● Set priorities, monitor and organize work to meet specific timeframes and complete allocated tasks.
● Develop and monitor schedules and layout project timelines with critical milestones and sub-steps.
● Track performance to schedule and recommend appropriate actions to stay on plan.
Other Important Responsibilities:
● Communicate effectively with peers, management, and stakeholders. Seek input from stakeholders and experts. Explain your findings, plans, and rationale.
● Work closely with internal departments including test lab, manufacturing, quality, marketing, sales and field service to coordinate efforts.
● Utilize your internal and external contacts (academic /vendor / customer, etc.), to mobilize resources and build strong alliances.
● Mentor junior staff
● Facilitate product and process training for small groups.
● 4-year degree in engineering, physics or equivalent relevant experience.
● 5+ years’ practical experience performing system level design of electro-mechanical products within a manufacturing environment
● 3+ years industry experience conducting steady state and transient heat transfer analysis
● Advanced materials, fluid mechanics and heat transfer analysis techniques are required along with high proficiency with CFD tools.
● Experienced in understanding of conduction, convection and radiation heat transfer principles
● Successful experience leading projects with cross-functional teams.
● Able to positively influence without authority by asserting, convincing, bridging, negotiating and inspiring others.
● Demonstrable Design of Experiment skills
● CAD experience (SolidWorks preferred)
● FEA/CFD experience (ANSYS preferred)
● Fluent in problem identification/resolution, risk management skills in Root Cause Analysis, FMEA, 8D
● Strong ability to communicate and collaborate well with others
● Results oriented
● Innovative, proactive, can-do type of personality working under minimum supervision
● Able to travel domestic and internationally 10-15%.
● MS Degree
● PMP Certification
● Previous semiconductor front end capital equipment and wafer test experience
● Knowledge of metal/ceramic/plastic/elastomeric materials, design/manufacturing/inspection/assembly processes- DFM/DFA
Experience working with micro solutions level
● GD&T experience
● Knowledge of electrical contacts and connector design