THE TULALIP TRIBES
The Tulalip Tribes publicly announces that Native Preference to hiring shall apply to the Tulalip Tribal job opportunities
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Tribal Department: Finance
Job Summary: A Senior Accountant is responsible for all required reporting with emphasis on accounting best practices and standards (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles “GAAP”) and Government Accounting Standards (“GASB”) while providing support to an assigned department on the application of accounting policies and resolving any issues that may arise through the day to day accounting functions, including A/P, A/R, and Grants. The Senior Accountant will have input on applicable finance policy development, review and will be responsible to implement specific processes to insure the financial work product of the assigned department is in compliance with both approved policy and GAAP. The Senior Accountant is expected to understand internal control design concepts sufficient to assess the effectiveness of controls and will work closely with external auditors. The Senior Accountant is expected to have a strong sense of ownership of all accounting functions of the assigned department, ability to identify process improvement opportunities, drive positive change across the organization, and enhance partnerships between accounting, operations, and/or IT stakeholders. The position requires completing assignment by identified deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial and managerial reporting, reconciliations, and technical accounting research for position paper writing. The Senior Accountant will provide support to the government’s Managing Directors and Board of Directors direct report executives as requried, requiring strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Employee Classification: Non-exempt Background Classification: Tier II Safety Sensitive: No
· BA/BS Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university
· Three (3) years’ experience as an auditor for a public accounting firm
· Five (5) years’ experience that demonstrates knowledge and application of GAAP and financial reporting
· Accounting Test
· CPA license
o Will allow to obtain within one year of start date
· The Tulalip Tribes requires different levels of pre-employment background screening for all positions. Employment is contingent upon passing of these background checks.
· Manual and finger dexterity for the operation of personal computer, office machines and routine paperwork
· Tolerance to be exposed to computer screen for prolonged periods of time
· Stamina to sit for prolonged periods
· Mobility to bend, stoop, and/ or climb stairs
· Ability to lift objects weighing up to 25 lbs. occasionally
This Employee Reports to: Controller, Government Accounting of the Tulalip Tribes of Washington
Employee Supervises: Non-supervisory position
1. Perform all assignments utilizing accounting best practices and standards known as the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
2. Manage the recurring closing process, and related accounting activities, required to accurately and timely record and report the financial statements and perform accompanying analysis.
3. Implement controls as approved by the Financial Reporting Manager to assist the organization in appropriately managing its financial risks.
4. Respond to inquiries from and provide the Managing Directors and other senior-level Executives regarding financial results, special reporting requests and budget preparation and the like.
5. Prepare/review account reconciliations and supporting schedules to ensure accuracy and timeliness of financial data and subsequent reports.
6. Assist with documentation and other information as requested by external auditors.
7. Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
8. Play an active role in systems upgrades and data testing.
9. Identify areas for process improvement, provide recommendations and execute on management approved changes.
10. Participate in the ongoing development and establishment of accounting policies and procedures.
Terms of Employment: This is a Regular Full-Time position requiring 40 hours per week or 2080 hours per year