The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is searching for a Senior Counsel to join the Company's Legal department. The Senior Counsel ranks second in the Legal Department’s line of authority. In this role, the Senior Counsel works with the VP, General Counsel to provide expert guidance, strategic counsel, and services to all business units. S/He/They must condense legal strategies and concepts down into results-driven, pragmatic solutions that can be directly applied to the business. The person should be intellectually nimble and forward-thinking. The Senior Counsel must be as comfortable working in a team as s/he/they is working independently.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Marketing: Single point of contact for entire department. Counsel directly impacts overall global marketing strategy from a legal and risk perspective. Advises internal marketing teams regarding a wide variety of marketing-related matters, including events, promotions, and sweepstakes. Reviews and clears all proposed consumer-facing collateral, including promotional advertising and product labeling materials.
• Intellectual Property: Participates in creating and is solely responsible for executing global IP strategy. Advises regarding domestic and global IP expansion efforts across 30+ countries. Manages international IP portfolio. Develops and executes enforcement strategy.
• Litigation: Manages outside counsel on all aspects of litigation (including class action) involving general liability, employment, contract and intellectual property claims.
• Commercial: Structures, negotiates, and drafts variety of day-to-day operational and commercial agreements for all departments. Anticipate, research and advise on unique legal issues across all departments.
• Franchise: Structures, negotiates, and drafts domestic and international area development agreements, franchise agreements, and other franchise-related documentation.
• Responsible for managing sub-budgets within department’s total budget.