Norwegians have more fun at work!
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility. Today, Norwegian invites guests to “Cruise Like a Norwegian" on one of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “Europe’s Leading Cruise Line" for the sixth consecutive year, as well as “Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Line" and “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" by the World Travel Awards.
Norwegian Cruise Line is currently looking for a Senior Doctor for its US flagged vessel, the Pride of America.
- To provide medical services to all Guests and, when required, Crewmembers.
- Shall assist the Staff Captain and Doctor in all shipboard health-related matters including outbreak prevention, and illness reporting as required by international, national and company policies.
- In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Responsibility and Authority
- Assume personal responsibility for safety and the environment. Be accountable for themselves and the safety of others in their vicinity. Environmental consciousness forms one part of this accountability.
- Report directly to the Staff Captain, and for medically related issues reports directly to the Medical Director.
- Serve as advisor to the Master and Staff Captain on all matters related to Medical Center services, Guest and Crewmember health matters and hygienic conditions onboard the vessel.
- Hold a Basic Safety Course Certificate and appropriate licenses and certificates as required by regulations.
- Be present during all clinic hours. Supervises and provides competent medical care to both Guests and Crewmembers as required, keeping the Master and Staff Captain advised of all matters of consequence.
- Oversee inventory of medical supplies and monitors hospital budget. The Senior Doctor, together with the rest of the medical team, is responsible for the annual budgeting of the Medical Center’s consumable supplies and medications.
- Maintain a confidential relationship between doctor and patient. However, if the Senior Doctor suspects a serious contagious illness which could affect the well-being of others, the Senior Doctor will report directly to the Staff Captain and Medical Director.
- Maintain a professional working atmosphere. This includes providing adequate privacy while examining patients. In the event a male physician examines a female patient in any state of undress, the ship’s female Nurse shall accompany him.
- Participate in monthly safety meetings, assists in making recommendations which improve the overall safety of the ship.
- Oversee the administration and safekeeping of all medications and drugs in accordance with regulations and Company policy. At least once a month or when there is a change in medical staff, a drug count shall be held, which the Staff Captain shall be present to verify.
- Be familiar with the Safety Management System (SMS), including the responsibilities in the Safety Organization according to the Emergency Plan and Station Bill. The Senior Doctor shall be actively involved in the implementation and administration of SMS as required by the position and Company policy.
- Participate in inspections of the galley and food handling areas and provides expert assistance in regards to sanitation and compliance with USPH and CDC regulations.
- Assist the Safety Manager in the orientation of new Crewmembers as to safety and personal hygiene.
- Maintain contact with the Medical Director as necessary for all medically related methods and practices.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
Education and Experience
- Medical Degree from a recognized College or University is required.
- Active, current medical license in good standing in Country or State/Province of origin is required.
- Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support within one year of application, with renewal of Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification every two years from a recognized educational institution, is required.
- Completion of a recognized Medical specialty training program is required, in at least one of the following: Emergency Medicine, General Practice, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, or General Surgery is required.
- Five years minimum clinical experience in Acute Care setting, after completion of a recognized Medical training program is required.
- One year practical experience in Advanced Cardiac Life Support is required.
- Five years’ experience diagnosing and treating a broad range of medical conditions is required, including experience performing minor surgery such as suturing, removal of benign skin lesions, removal of foreign objects, removal of ingrown toenails, identification of and immobilizing of simple fractures.
- Intermediate to Advanced verbal and written level of English is required.
ABOUT PRIDE OF AMERICA:
Inaugurated in 2005, Pride of America is the first US-flagged cruise ship in nearly fifty years.
Pride of America was designed to pay homage to the spirit of the United States, with patriotic artwork on the hull and American-themed public spaces. She is currently the only American registered major cruise ship serving the Hawaiian market from Honolulu, sailing to Kahului (Maui), Hilo (Hawaii), Kona (Hawaii), Nawiliwili (Kauai). Because she is flagged in the United States, Pride of America is required to carry a US crew. There are 935 crew employed on Pride of America. To take a 360 virtual tour of the ship, click here: http://bit.ly/1TGOyGW.
Come join our team!
*** PLEASE READ PRIOR TO COMPLETING THE APPLICATION***
PER UNITED STATES COAST GUARD REGULATIONS, CREW MEMBERS ONBOARD THE PRIDE OF AMERICA MUST BE UNITED STATED CITIZENS OR PERMANENT RESIDENTS RESIDENT ALIENS(GREEN CARD HOLDERS). FAILURE TO MEET THIS REQUIREMENT WILL AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFY YOU FOR EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION ONBOARD THE PRIDE OF AMERICA.